|< Media Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - May, 2007
JAPAN’S GLUT OF WHALE MEAT – AND NO ONE WANTS IT!
- 1,035 tons of whale meat are in the markets of Japan– a 65% increase from
- Japan is sitting on an additional 2,700 tons of unwanted whale meat. The
infamous Taiji dolphin slaughter also produces much meat that is labeled "whale"
meat for consumption.
- The supply far exceeds the demand. Whale burgers and whale meatballs are
appearing on school menus and canned whale meat is reportedly being distributed
to old people’s homes.
- Prices of whale meat have dropped so much, that in a desperate attempt to
get rid of this glut, the Japanese are now selling whale meat for pet
- The Japanese are feeding whale meat essentially to those who have no say in
what they eat.
- A recent analysis of whale meat samples purchased in Japanese markets turned
up dangerous levels of PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls), including some
chemicals that act as estrogen imitators, elevating estrogen levels in women,
"feminizing" men and lowering sperm counts.
- Dolphins and whales killed and sold for food in Japan have levels of mercury
and organochlorines which are hundreds of times higher than what is considered
safe for human consumption.
Not only are Japanese marketers of this meat conducting a slaughter that is
appalling to the majority of humanity, they are poisoning their own people as
PDF of this Fact Sheet.